Independent Contractor Agreements

Tax levy funds cannot be used to process Independent Contractor Agreements to individuals who are currently employed, or have been employed within the past two years, by CUNY, SUNY, and/or New York State. Based on the scope of work provided in the CUNYfirst requisition, the Office of Purchasing and Contracting will determine whether a service will require an Independent Contractor Agreement.

To begin the Independent Contractor Agreement process, create a Purchase Requisition in CUNYfirst, entering DUMMYVENDOR as the vendor/payee if the vendor is not already in CUNYfirst. For assistance creating requisitions, refer to the How to Create a Purchase Requisition guide. If the services will be performed as part of an event, attach an event program, flier, or agenda describing the purpose of the event, and a sign-in sheet.

Please provide (in the comments section of the requisition):

  • Full Name
  • Street Address
  • Phone Number
  • E-mail Address
  • A description of the specific services to be provided (scope of work), including duration of services, dates services will be provided, and pricing structure

Indicate whether or not the vendor/payee is currently a student.

As soon as this information is received, the college’s vendor liaisons will contact the vendor/payee to begin the Statewide Financial System (SFS) registration process, which is required to issue a Purchase Order. The registration process will take up to two weeks if all forms are filled out correctly. SFS registration must be completed prior to the rendering of services.

Following registration in the SFS, four copies of the Independent Contractor Agreement will be sent to the vendor/payee for completion and notarization.

A Purchase Order is created once the Independent Contractor Agreement has been completed by the vendor/payee and returned to the Office of Purchasing and Contracting. An executed copy of the Independent Contractor Agreement is sent to the vendor/payee along with a copy of the Purchase Order and instructions for beginning the payment process.

Once the service has been completed, create a receipt in CUNYfirst and submit the following documentation to the Office of Accounts Payable, 1424 Boylan Hall. For assistance creating receipts, refer to the How to Create a Receipt guide.

  • Original Claim for Payment (pdf) (page 11 of Independent Contractor Agreement) from the vendor/payee
  • Original, completed IRS W-9 Form
  • Original invoice from the vendor/payee
  • A copy of the CUNYfirst receipt confirmation page

The vendor/payee will receive a check at the same address filed with Statewide Financial System during the vendor registration process. If the payee wishes to change this address in SFS, contact the Office of Accounts Payable.

Related Articles